Year 7-12 Sport
Year 7-12 Sport
Competitive Sport News
All Schools’ Basketball
What a great round of basketball last week! We saw some big wins with the Intermediate B Boys & Senior B Boys (as they both continue their preparation for the Championship School of Qld competition); the Junior C Girls; and our Junior B Boys teams.
There were some tough losses in there as well, but the scoreline doesn’t always reflect how they played. The season has only just begun for most teams and I look forward to seeing you all improve throughout the season.
We have nearly all our teams playing this week so please read the draw carefully. The Intermediate F Boys division (our PLC “D” team) is now playing in the round this week (initially meant to start next week). Please ensure that you are all ready to play.
This will be the final week of competition for senior teams (except for the Senior B Girls who will play the semifinals next week).
All players need to return their uniforms to Mrs Muir by the end of next week. Uniforms need to be signed back in via the uniform register or if the office is unattended, left in a clearly labelled bag. Students who just leave their uniforms on the office floor run the risk of incurring a fee. The Senior C Girls’ season has been completed so please return your uniforms to the sports office this week. Thank you for all your effort this season.
All School’s Water Polo
Congratulations to the Intermediate Water Polo Girls team for their first win of the season over a formidable Siena team. Their attack and defence have improved immensely since their very first week of competition and they are playing with great intent. Most importantly the girls are all loving their involvement in Water Polo and are striving to keep improving. Well done to the team and Coach Sam.
SCISSA Touch Football Results
Congratulations to our Senior Girls and Junior Boys teams for their wins in their SCISSA Touch Fixtures on Wednesday. The Senior Girls competed well in a tough game against Good Shepherd finishing with a 2-0 score line. The boys didn’t quite have the same polish with their rucking as last week but managed to do enough to win 8-5. Our Junior Girls had an away game at St Andrews and had to fight back after a slow start. They did an amazing job to bring the game back to 5-5 but unfortunately went down in a tight tussle to finish the game. The Intermediate Boys weren’t able to field a team this week but we are looking forward to finishing off strong with their final game next week.
SSCRU Girls Rugby Results
The U14 Girls continued to play with great spirit in their fixtures on Wednesday afternoon. They were a few players down but that didn’t stop them from competing to their best in each game. The team should be very proud of their efforts. Well done to the U16 Girls who played well despite missing many of their players.
Congratulations to all our students who competed in the MTB competition last Friday at Sugar Bag Rd Trails. It was a great day of competition for our riders, with our best result coming from Carter Costa coming in 4th place. Thank you to Mr Bartlett for organizing the team and investing his time and energy into the MTB program.
Student Athlete Acknowledgment
Congratulations to the following students for their outstanding achievements in sport:
• Tom Chessell for recently being a part of the gold medal QLD team who competed in the School Sport Australia National Baseball Championship. Qld last won this tournament 15 years ago and this year they beat the previously undefeated NSW side in the gold medal game, winning 8-6 over 9 innings. Tom was named MVP for the whole tournament, has been selected for the All-Australian Team, and was the runner-up in the batting award for the tournament.
• Isabella Walsh for her recent success at the School Sports State Championships in Cairns. Isabella has been selected to represent QLD at the Australian Tennis Championships in October.
• Riley Shortland for his selection to represent QLD at the 2022 National Youth Championships in Coffs Harbour from Monday, 26th September to Friday, 30th September. Riley has worked hard over the last 3 years in Football Queensland Academy Program.
Key Sports Dates Term 3
- Friday 9th September: Term 2 and 3 Sports Group Photos (Netball/Basketball/ Catch up from previous session)
- Friday 16th September: Years 7-12 Interhouse Swimming Carnival
- Wednesday 14th - Sunday 18th September: Champion Schools Basketball Queensland.
Mr Cameron West-McInnes, Head of Sport